Helpful Advice for Parents:
- Because bed bugs often “hitchhike” into homes and schools on backpacks and coats, put these items into a dryer on high heat for 45 minutes weekly.
- Inspect items your kids bring home from school. Keep school items like backpacks, books and jackets in a single area of the home away from sleeping areas.
- Limit the number of items your child takes to school.
- If you spot a suspected bed bug in your home, put it in a plastic bag and have a pest management expert inspect it.
- If you have bed bugs at home, put clothing, backpacks, shoes, bedding and similar objects in a dryer at high temperature for 45 minutes.
- Vacuum bed bugs from cracks and crevices in furniture, equipment, walls and floors.
- Eliminate clutter to reduce hiding places.
- Use protective covers to encase mattresses and box springs.
- Talk with professional pest control companies about non-chemical methods like heat treatment of rooms, furniture and other large items.